martedì 26 giugno 2012

Zip-lining With Kids.

Field Trip #1

     On Wednesday we traveled high into the mountains to the city of Asiago to attend our first field trip with the kids. We were going zip-lining and everyone was super excited except the counselors. How were we going to take 70+ kids zip-lining? The drive up was beautiful. We were pretty high up in the mountains and the view was pretty great. I got a little car sick on the way up but, felt better when I finally got to get some fresh air. I was so happy that it wasn't so hot where we were because we were in the mountains/tree so it was very breezy and cool! When we got there we split the groups up, my group was second to go. My group had lunch first and since the center provides lunch, the menu was sandwiches, chips, juice, and vegetables. They didn't know if they even had enough food for the kids so the counselors and staff of course couldn't have lunch. After the kids had lunch, they took us on a "sensory walk" where you walk barefoot through different textures of ground. It was not very safe and the kids were all complaining about the pain. I felt so bad but we made a lesson out of it saying to be thankful for the shoes on your feet because some people don't have shoes and have to walk miles and miles on this type of ground. On our walk, we went to the shoreline of the little lake that was there and saw baby tadpoles and frogs. There were thousands of them! It was kind of disgusting because I know the kids were probably stepping all over them because they were EVERYWHERE. I felt so bad and disgusted at the thought.

 After we got done with our walk, we put our shoes back on and headed for the trees. While we were getting suited up, the staff bought us all sandwiches from the little shop that was very close by. The sandwich consisted of really hard but baked bread, and meat. It wasn't that great but we were all starving. We had two groups combined that were going together which meant about 30 kids that needed to be suited up. There was only one guy working on getting them in their harnesses so I offered to help. Bad idea since I probably only did 5 in about a 30 minute period, but at least I helped! Now I can say I know how to suit one up to go zip-lining. They showed us a mini course that we had to go through for safety reasons and the kids were in charge of hooking their carabiners to the ropes and going through it themselves. It was not even two feet off the ground. After going through that course, we moved to a course higher up. The instructors let us go and stayed on the ground while we hooked ourselves to the ropes. It was the scariest thing ever, especially considering we had so many kids we had to look after too. I couldn't believe that they were letting us do it all by ourselves! It reminds me of the time LSH took a trip zip-lining and how we weren't even allowed to touch our carabiners!! It was really cool but just very risky. We went through two courses with the kids and then got some gelato. We then headed back to the center. No one got hurt so that was the best part of my day. :-)



Nessun commento:

Posta un commento